Thursday, October 2, 2008

Bipolar Personality

Do bipolars share a common personality?

I took the Myers-Briggs Typology (Personality) Test nearly 20 years ago in a Psychology class. I learned I was an ENFJ, and was given a print out - personality profile. Not only was it Erie then to read a very accurate profile of myself, a profile more accurate than I could write myself, but it was even more Erie to learn that the test's predictions of what I would be like in Mid Life were true.

The personality test predicted that I would develop a passion for art, cooking, and nature. Twenty years ago, this prediction was laughable. I was the young, wild, party-girl. However, I am now finding a passion for these things.

I found the printout of the personality quiz that I had taken 20 years ago. I really wasn't sure what the quiz was called , or if it was something still used. I googled ENFJ which was printed on top of the quiz, and found loads of information about this personality profile. I am almost certain that it was the Myers-Briggs.

You can take the Myers- Briggs quiz- Free and no sign up- at http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp
It is 72 multiple choice questions.

I took the Myers- Briggs quiz again today and learned that I am no longer an ENFJ but now I am an INFJ. In other words, my personality is very similar to what it was 20 years ago. However, I is for Introvert and E is for Extrovert. Twenty years has turned me and Extrovert to an Introvert. (Oh, and I also had a good friend take the test, and she is also an INFJ. What are the odds? According to the information, 1 percent that I could be an INFJ.. So what are the odds that my good friend would also be?)

I am not sure if a study has every been done on personality and mental illness. It would be interesting to know if bipolars share a certain personality profile. Perhaps a way to predict mental illness?

I think computers have the potential to solve many mysteries of the human mind. Ah, if Jung only had the use of the computer. What we might just know now.

18 comments:

moodypenguin said...

I just stumbled across your blog, and thought I'd let you know...

I'm 26, recently diagnosed as Bipolar II, and I'm also an ENFJ...

Amy said...

Hmmm, maybe there is something to my therory after all???

Anonymous said...

I'm 22 Bi-polar
Back when I was younger and working I was an ENTJ.
Now I'm an ENFJ.
As for dis-orders a studies. THe
http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/
in there book says for type 7 that bi-polar is a common issue.

Anonymous said...

I'm 44, female. I have always suspected I have a degree of what I call an elongated Bipolar cycling or attributes, like a two year cycling with inner mini (daily even) cycles. I'm showing as INFJ. I am experiencing the needed recharge period (down time) the personality results mentioned. The description is really accurate for me.

Anonymous said...

I also did not know there were formal levels... Bipolar II? Interesting.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your blog. Good job.

Anonymous said...

I'm. 22 born October 2 1987. In bipolar. I'm enfj. I feel you guys and gals. We should all go party together

Anonymous said...

I'm 31, recently diagnosed as Bipolar (although I've had it all my life but my epilepsy meds took care of it) and I'm an ENTJ personality.

Amaryllis said...

Bipolar 2, 20years old and I'm an INTP.

Anonymous said...

Bipolar II and INTP. Makes me wonder if there's a correlation between iNtuition and bipolar disorder.

Anonymous said...

I am 25 and I am Bi-Polar II and INFJ

Anonymous said...

Hi I've been diagnosed bipolar II and am INTP, though sometimes "swing" toward INFP. Depends on whether or not I'm loving humanity that day.

Kristen S said...

I'm INFJ as well! And recently diagnosed as Bipolar II.

Anonymous said...

I have Bipolar 1. I'm an INFP, but I've also tested as an ISFP. No one knows I'm bipolar unless I tell them. I don't think my illness changed my personality all that much, just shifted my motivations and perspectives in life.

Anonymous said...

I have Bipolar 1. I'm an INFP, but I've also tested as an ISFP. No one knows I'm bipolar unless I tell them. I don't think my illness changed my personality all that much, just shifted my motivations and perspectives in life.

Anonymous said...

"The personality test predicted that I would develop a passion for art, cooking, and nature." Let me make a few more predictions, you will eat sometime today, you will be surrounded by trees some time today, you will make something either it be a noise or a turd in the toilet.

Typical INFJ personality everything is a conspiracy. Stop admiring things so hard and you won't have this backlash. Even simple things can be and are complex.

Just some friendly advise from an INTP.

Anonymous said...

I am ENFJ and was diagnosed with Bipolar II twelve years ago.

Anonymous said...

I'm 31 and was diagnosed with Bipolar II about 9 years ago. I studied psychology and never wavered from being ENFP.