Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Lead Me NOT Into Bipolar Temptation

Lets see, how do the "Experts" like to describe us "Bipolars"?
The "Experts" often speak of what us "Bipolars" do when manic. Today I want to touch on several of those Bipolar Traits that I have learned to curb. I have done this by taking every step possible to avoid temptation. Because even though I take my meds, I still get those bipolor urges.

-Spending sprees
-Abuse of drugs
-Promiscuity

Bipolar Spending Sprees- When I'm feeling good, I just love to spend money. I'm happy and I feel like I deserve it. I've got plastic, now lets go shopping! Or Not. I've learned to curb the spending in two ways. I try to stay out of stores. And, when I must go into a store, I bring cash. Plastic is locked away. One time I went as far to take my credit card, wrap it in some freezer wrap, and to freeze it into a big chunk of ice. Sometimes I looked at that big old ice cube, and though about how I could get to the credit card, but it was pretty well safe there. When I feel that I absolutely MUST go on a spending spree, I take 20 dollars, and run over to the dollar store. Somehow that can be just as satisfying as spending thousands.

Abuse of Drugs- My number one piece of advice on this is, chose your friends wisely. "Friends" often become the supplier. But if you get caught in this (as I did), I highly recommend a 12 step program such as AA. Trade one addiction for another, and one group of "friends" for another.

Promiscuity- Promiscuity can be the most difficult of all to control. Set boundaries for yourself, and stick to them. Heck, I've gone as far as writing a list of rules for myself and pasting it on the bathroom mirror. Extreme self discipline is required here. And, lead yourself NOT into temptation. Just as I don't go into certain stores because I might spend too much money, I also stay clear of certain men so I don't cross any taboo lines.

3 comments:

moodypenguin said...

Sounds sensible to me!!!

I personally get frustrated with the "stereotypes" that get attached to us as "bipolars". Some of the "experts" I've come across like to use them to measure the severity of my bipolar disorder (it's not mania until it's really out of control, apparently!) I've been asked me more times than I care to count about whether I've cheated on my husband, committed crimes, gambled excessively, been gradiose, overdosed on drugs/alcohol...

I do LOVE to shop. It's one of those horrible interfaces between my personality and my disorder. I try to shop in moderation!

I have a tendency to want to drive faster than the speed limit, and feel a bit "invincible"...
So, I either go where the traffic is, get someone else to drive me, or don't go out, if I have those urges.

I also end up with a flurry of ideas, and it isn't unusual for me to initiate a project or two when my mood is elevated.

But I have no urge to cheat on my husband, or abuse drugs, or gamble, or commit crimes (other than speeding/running red lights!). Stupid stereotypes...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

To the commenter before me:

I don't necessarily believe that we get "stereotyped", as much as we are generalized. I myself do have many urges to do drugs, buy a lot of useless things, and I have cheated on my now ex-husband, and on my boyfriend.

You may just have an urge to shop, while another bipolar has just an urge to be promiscuous. As where people like the blogger and I, have issues with a lot of these urges. Just thought I'd clear that up.