Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I Can't Get Health Insurance Because I am Bipolar!

Because I am bipolar, I can't get private health insurance. How wrong is that? Now my friend, who smokes 2 packs of ciggys a day can get private health insurance, but I can't. I, like many other Americans, would like to have health insurance to protect me in case I ever get really sick.
I have spoken with many insurance agents, and the answer is the same- I will get denied due to my bipolar.

One insurance agent I consulted with was very persistent in his attempt to get me insurance. He tried every trick-of-the-trade known in the health insurance kingdom. Thinking outloud, he said to me, "Maybe we can just not say you are bipolar". But upon his further research, he learned that my medication history gives me away. I could not lie, even if I wanted to. I learned from him that Health insurance companies can actually get information about every med you have even been prescribed! I have taken a lot of meds for bipolar- but the LITHIUM I took many years ago was the true red flag. Other bipolar meds can also be used for things such as headaches, seizures, etc.

I suggested that MAYBE I could still get insurance, and just exclude my bipolar illness as a preexisting illness. No Cigar. I said to the insurance guru, "just exclude the cost of meds, and psy visits". What a great idea he thought, but he learned that wasn't the possible either.

Although no insurance agent would tell me the reason they will not cover bipolar, I believe it is due to the high risk of suicide in bipolars. Many studies indicate a 15% rate of suicide amongst individuals with bipolar disorder. This rate is about 30 times higher than than that of the general population.

The most ironic thing is that I qualify for Life Insurance! Image that.

Has anyone figured out how to get private health insurance when you are bipolar? I live in Florida.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am self-employed. I left my job 12 months ago, but couldn't put my wife under my plan since she was pregnant. We put her on COBRA until we had the baby.

After the baby was born I applied to add her to my policy, but she has a history of bipolar and was denied coverage.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I think she'll be eligible for HIPAA after COBRA runs out, but it sounds extremely expensive.

Anonymous said...

I have the same fucking problem because I have ongoing depression. It makes me want to find the nearest health insurance office and brutally murder every last one of the vermin.

Amy said...

Hmmm, or maybe we should just stop giving free health insurance to our lawmakers. If we stop letting our president, our governors, our senitors, and reps free health insurance- just watch how quickly they will find a solution.