Thursday, August 5, 2010

Bipolar Disorder- Vitamins, Herbs, and Supplements

Someone recently wrote to me suggesting the amino acid L=Tryptophan for Bipolar sleep cycle disturbances. Considering that it is 2:30am and I am still wide awake, I'm open for any suggestions. My days and nights are constantly backwards, and people don't like people who don't follow social norms. My work schedule is quite flexable, but my boss recently suggested that I get used to daylight.

I have tried Melatonin, to no avail. It's said that Melatonin will help you fall asleep at night. It doesn't work for me. I tried a 3mg tab, then I tried 2 3mg tabs. After the second night of no sleep, I took a Depakote I had laying around and was out for 12 hours.

And then there is that memory thing. I heard on the radio that fish oil is great for that. Fish oil is recommended for all sorts of things from weight loss to depression, so how can I go wrong? I think I will buy some tomorrow.

Which brings me to Vitamin B, I am a big fan of that. Maybe it's the placebo affect, but when I'm wiped out and have no energy a super dose of Vitamin B seems to recharge me.

I could probably use a script for Xanax, but when I asked for it once my doctor jumped down my throat, lecturing me about how addictive it is. Not sure how a script for one or two pills a month would put me over the deep end, but ok. That got me searching for a substitute and I found Kava. Apparently Kava has been removed from the shelves of GNC because if you take enough you die. A quick "Google" search and I discovered that only 1 hour from my home is a Kava bar which serves this liquid, mud like substance in coconut shells. Kava tastes so horrid that you must down it like a tequella shot, and chase it with some fruity candy. After a few shells, I felt pretty darn relaxed.

Everything except the Kava has been recommended to me by my doctor. Bipolar symptoms include: mania, elevated mood, and irritable mood; increased libido; decreased need for sleep; rapid speech; racing thoughts; increased activity and agitation; occasional delusions. Alternating with periods of depression and other symptoms such as excessive guilt; absence of pleasure; or thoughts of death. Do you have a herb for all that? My gosh, I hope so because somtimes this thing kicks my butt.

I'd suggest you stay away from the St. John's Wort. I tried it for a few weeks. Although at first it improved my mood dramatically, when bipolar mood goes up, it must come down. The St. John's Wort hangover is not fun.

Are there vitamins, herbs, and supplements that can combat every symptom of bipolar? I would be more than interested to hear from you, and learn what you have tried.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I take a multivitamin on occasion but other than that I am new to the alternative meds. When I was younger my mom put me on st johns wort for my depressions and it had no effect. I have tried Fish Oil but didn't notice any mood changes. So, I drink 3point beer for my anxiety lol.

But really it is good to stay away from benzos. I was on them for a while and became addicted. I haven't been prescribed them in over 4 years and i prefer it that way.

All in all my anxiety is generally controlled with my current med cocktail.

Unknown said...

thanks for sharing, I have heard a lot about supplements and bipolar disorder, glad to learn more about it.

Unknown said...

The only vitamin I have tried that actually works is lots of Vitamin D, when I get hours of sunlight it does wonders, whether I am depressed or manic, being outside sooths me. It starts to get tricky in the winter, when I get no sun.

Erin Fugal said...

I am also bipolar and been through 3 pregnancies. The whole time I was on a vitamin/mineral/herbal supplement called Equilib, and not taking medications of any kind. I was stable before, during and after the pregnancies UNTIL I stopped taking them.(which is true of any medication also- stop taking them and they stop working obviously)Total time about 6 or 7 years stable and drug free. It is specifically formulated for people with CNS disorders and I had great success with them. Check out the website http://www.equilib.us/

I agree about the fresh air and sunshine and exercise. i feel so much better when I get outside.