Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Bipolar- I Prefer to Be Sad Alone

When I'm really sad, I prefer to be alone. More than anything else, I don't want anyone to look at me or touch me. I don't want anyone to hear the sadness in my voice. I need to be alone until I'm ready to cope.

Sadness can sometimes turn into depression, but not always. We all have our own ways of dealing with sadness. Some people reach out to others and want to talk out their problems. Others, like me, prefer to lick their wounds alone.

If your living with someone who has bipolar, it's important to talk about what to expect and discuss the best way to deal with bipolar symptoms before they happen. It doesn't have to be a guessing game.

It's hard to watch someone suffer with sadness, grief, or depression. A normal human reaction is to want to reach out and help. Another normal reaction is to long to slip away, and hope when you come back the mood has passed. Often what you want to do, isn't what the bipolar person needs to get better. Having the talk can do wonders for a relationship.

Loving someone with bipolar isn't always easy, but sometimes it is.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is excellent advice. My man and I never had that talk until the mood episode already passed. Ooopps!

Anonymous said...

My husband and I have found that when he's feeling down, a healthy home-cooked dinner, good workout, and movie can be a comfort for the day - especially the running, since it actually causes your body to create the most natural anti-depressant, endorphins. The movie is good to get his mind on other things.

Not sure yet about manic... he's only had one bad episode. He usually has long periods of being well, or somewhat down.

Unknown said...

Soooooo true! What works for me and my husband is that I go to my room with a book or video game and he leaves me alone till I come out and say I am better.

Anonymous said...

I have been dating a girl since Nov. 2010.I had something with her 20 years ago also. I recently like in the past 2 weeks found out she is bipolar. She tells me that she is not good enough for me. She wants to be alone, not to love her. I can't help it, I do love her. What do I do? I have seen her one time since 12/19/2010. I felt it was good, hugged and kissed. Now she is back to the bottom again. Making choice for me about her. I am not afraid of her bipolar thing. I want to help and get back to our future. I am totally confused, does she not want me to love, in her life, in her future? What should I do? Any advice is good advice. I decided last week she is worth my time and understanding, but I do not like being in the dark. We do live 2 in half hours away and can really only see each other on weekends. Help?

Amy said...

Hi "Anonymous"

The relationship is still new and early, but it sounds like you really like this girl.

I say, "Go for it." If you are not afraid of her bipolar, and if you like her when she is sad- there can be many happy days ahead for you both.

Give her some space, but also call her every couple days- just stay in touch, and let her know you are there for her.

Good luck!

Amy said...

"Anonymous"

I also want to add,
Take care of yourself too, and don't spend all of your time trying to save her. You will only be angry at yourself and at her if - when she gets better- she decides that you are not the one.
Treat this like any other new relationship, just understand that she is not well at this time, and she can use a friend for sure.

Ashlee said...

Sometimes it could be described as sadness not depression. Sometimes I just feel real sad. When i try to search for the reason as to why i am sad it seems there is just no end so i just wait for it to pass and hide it best I can. When others try to help they eventually get frustrated, feel sorry for me or i end up pushing them away anyway. I would much prefer just be on my own at these times and for no one to see me. The sadness eventually passes and then yes i just feel better, simple as that :) I have struggled a lot with pushing people away however. I like to be positive and portrayed that way too so it has been difficult.