Sunday, August 8, 2010

Adding Your Shrink to Facebook

Is your shrink your friend on facebook? Mine is. I received a friend request from her about a month ago, "Tina is new to facebook. Tina wants to be your friend". I think she is new and imported her entire email list. I can't think of any other reason she would want to be my facebook friend. Tina is now my facebook friend, with the right privacy settings of course.

Tina is a textbook learned shrink and would probably not approve of my facebook page nor this blog. In many ways, she has fixed me. I am one of her few bipolar success stories. After 10 years of trying to fix me, I can tell she is tired of trying. She has become too attached, like my mother, and only wants the best for me. In some ways, I am still broken. In most ways, I am fixed.

Going back to Facebook... I probably use it too freely. Not more freely than my friends, but still freely. I post where I'm going; I post where I've been. I post job changes, new classes I'm taking, my interests,my passions, and my dreams. Sometimes, when I have a bad day, I post about that too.

If you followed me on facebook, you would think of me as nothing more than a normal girl. I have friends, I get tagged, and people write on my wall. If you are my shrink, however, my facebook page could alarm you. I've been known to be tagged with a drink in my hand. I've been known to be tagged looking a little too happy or a little too sad. I fear that if my facebook page were completly open for my shrink to see, I would be seeing her a lot more often.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so friggin funny. I wouldn't know what to think of my psych asking to be my facebook friend. Probably do the same as you and change the security settings. You should give her or him a Poke! lol!

Amy said...

I'm waiting for it to come up in our next session.
"Ah, yes Amy. I think we need to talk about some of those photos you were tagged in... I'm seeing overconfidence, perhaps an elevated mood?"

Yes, by all means, I think I will give her a poke.

Anonymous said...

You're a Hero for us rest