Sunday, September 28, 2008

Using The Internet For Bipolar Research

I spend obscene amounts of time on the Internet researching bipolar. I am always trying to find ways to conquer the disease completely. Bipolar can be treated but it can't be cured, at least that is what the experts are telling us.

I am thirsty for information about bipolar disorder. Knowledge is power. It didn't take long before I reached the end of the bipolar Internet. I rarely find new information about bipolar. Stale Mate. There is no place to go.

This blog is just the beginning of something bigger and better. I plan to build a website about bipolar success. I need to do this for myself, to keep track of the best bipolar research, so I can refer back to it when needed. Maybe it will help some other people as well, but it's really about me and my bipolar.

I find two kinds of bipolar blogs. One is the "everything and anything" blog. This blog is more or less rambling thoughts of the bipolar. The other type are the medical blogs, which usually are not written by bipolars- but instead by doctors. Information is cut and dry- bipolar 101 if you may. I don't find either type to be helpful anymore. I am ten years into this. It was ten years ago that I learned there was a name for my illness and it was called bipolar. I am beyond bipolar 101, and thirsty for more information.

6 comments:

moodypenguin said...

Hi Amy,
Sorry for taking over your blog this afternoon... but I'm excited to converse with someone on the topics you're bringing up!

I've only been on this journey for 6 months. I have a background as a health professional, a voracious appetite for reading, and a very curious mind (I'm always asking my doctor- "what's the evidence for that?"). But I agree, the internet can only take you so far.

I'd be interested to see what your favourite websites are, if you have any.
I particularly like the Black Dog Institute http://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/

I'm currently looking for (and not having much success with) information about working successfully. I love my job, but it's hard to make it work for me, with bipolar disorder. But no book or website I've consulted has more than a few paragraphs on the issue...

Amy said...

Hi Moody Penguin,

Thanks for your support with this blog.

Isn't it strange that nobody writes about anybody that is successful and bipolar?

There is a chatroom that I freqent- it is usually hoppin 24-7.
http://www.bipolarworld.net/Community/webchat.html
They have made it a little tricky to get in (you have to sign up), but it's worth the trouble.

I haven't really put together a list of favorite sites. I am just starting to learn about blogging and web design- so I have big plans. (big plans not manic plans )

You are far ahead of the game, asking these questions after only 6 months.

I also have had trouble finding information on working successfully. I need to write more about that too!

moodypenguin said...

Thanks Amy!
It's wierd but nice to think of myself as ahead of the game... I guess we do all have different journeys, and mine has catapulted me here pretty quickly (thankfully via early detection, thanks to having done abnormal psychology subjects at university, and being aware of my family history!)

perhaps we could write together on what makes work "work-able" for us... and start to create the information we haven't been able to find...

at the moment I'm gleaning some useful information from outside of the "bipolar" world, e.g. from websites about adult ADHD (I can end up quite "hyperactive" and so some of those strategies can and do work for me!).

feel free to drop me an email
moodypenguin (at) hotmail dot com

Amy said...

Hi Moody Penguin,

I think writing together is an AWESOME idea!!!

I added you as an author of this blog. Lets write about success!

RC said...

Hello, I just found your blog and wanted to say how great it is. I am dating a bipolar man who is very self aware and last year was divorced from a bipolar man who was not.

I am not sure why I attract bipolar folks but I have had many in my life. It might be because I am a pretty calm and centered person and somehow they are the yin to my yang.

Anyways, since I met the current man I have been doing research online and have found very few sites about successful BP's - especially successful relationships. I appreciate your blog and the insights into your experiences in life. Please continue! There needs to be more sites out there that express hope and still inform about the reality of being a BP but with balance instead of alarmism.

Thanks!

Amy said...

Thanks RC for the positive feedback.
;)