Sunday, December 1, 2013

Bipolar, The People You Surround Yourself With Make All The Difference

When I think back to the best and worst of times, the people I chose to spend the majority of my time with made all the difference.  Who do we spend the most time with?  Usually Coworkers,  Housemates, and lovers. These people, along with family and friends, make up our support system.  You can't choose your family (although you can choose how much time you spend with family), but strive to put yourself in a position in which your coworkers, housemates, and lovers are good people.  If you are bipolar, surround yourself with good people. It will make all the difference.

As I reflect back in life, there were two periods of time that were particularly dark, and both involved dark people.  Lucky for me, these people were not both in my life at the same time.  The first was a controlling, alcoholic boyfriend.  The second was an employer who desperately  needed my skills, but openly did not like me.  In both cases, I spent a considerable part of my time with these people.  The boyfriend took strategic steps to isolate me from anyone who loved me. The employer used my dependence on income to control and bully me. 

I don't suggest making radical changes quickly, but consider taking small steps that put more positive people in your life.  It might not be possible or practical  to leave your job or your lover, but seek out positive people. Good people are everywhere.  You just need to make the effort to find them and get to know them.   Having good people in your life can help negate the effects of the negative people in your life and help you eliminate bad people from your life, one by one. 

Surrounding yourself with good people is not always an easy thing to do, but it's extremely important for someone with bipolar disorder.  There are people who will pray on our times of weakness and manipulate us into believing they are good for us.  Don't fall into that trap. You know in your heart when someone is bringing you down.  Surround yourself with people who are going to lift you up.  Surround yourself with the best people you can find.  It will make all the difference. 

Where have you met the most positive people, and how have they changed your life?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy I couldn't agree more we are all shaped by the people in our lives and being around positive and caring people can make a world of difference . I am quite spiritual and find great support there also .

Cameron VSJ said...

Hi Amy! I was reading up on a few of your posts just now and had a quick question. I was hoping that you could email me back when you have a moment. Thanks!

- Cameron

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
maggie.danhakl@healthline.com said...

Hi,

Healthline just launched a video campaign for bipolar disorder called "You've Got This" where bipolar patients can record a short video to give hope and inspiration to those recently diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

You can visit the homepage and check out videos from the campaign here: http://www.healthline.com/health/bipolar-disorder/youve-got-this

We will be donating $10 for every submitted campaign to To Write Love On Her Arms, so the more exposure the campaign gets the more the videos we'll receive and the more Healthline can donate to research, support, and treatment programs for mental health disorders.

We would appreciate if you could help spread the word about this by sharing the You've Got This with friends and followers or include the campaign as a resource on your page: http://bipolarandsuccessful.blogspot.com/

Please let me know if this is possible and if you have any questions. And, if you know anyone that would be interested in submitting a video, please encourage them to do so.

Best,
Maggie Danhakl • Assistant Marketing Manager
p: 415-281-3124 f: 415-281-3199

Healthline • The Power of Intelligent Health
660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107 www.healthline.com | @Healthline | @HealthlineCorp

About Us: corp.healthline.com

Erica said...

Hello Amy.

I'm helping to produce a documentary on successful people living with bipolar disorder for PBS. I was hoping to discuss this further with you. Can you please email me at erica@radiantfeatures.com

Thanks!
Erica

Anonymous said...

Hello Amy,

I just happened to find your blog. I have been inspired from of all that I have been through and I am have never given up. I am also made a blog today to help people with bipolar to cope and make better choices. You are certainly worth following and a person to look up to. I have 3 college degrees. But I am afraid I failed and must go on disability from having this disorder. Hopefully for a little awhile until I get on my feet again. Thanks, Jen

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,
My husband has bipolar disorder 1 and just like you he is successful he works as an mechanical engineer. I always wanted him to attend group of people who are successful in their life, he went once to support group where people struggling but that's not for him, I was just happy that he finally decided to go anywhere. I myself go for NAMI family support group that I love it and learn a lot from wonderful people over there. We live in suburb of Chicago, hopefully someone knows that such groups exist here.