Monday, February 27, 2012

Bipolar and Stigma

I was thinking today about how absolutely uneducated people are about bipolar disorder. The general thinking seems to be that all bipolar people are off their rocker, evil, batshit crazy, AND they are like that all the time. Honestly people, we all have our off days, but those of us with bipolar disorder are not that much different than everybody else. You don't have to be afraid.

It's no wonder that when newly diagnosed with bipolar, a person will either deny it is true or accept it as a death sentence. It is no wonder that people go on for years without treatment, or even worse are fed antidepressants, because their primary doctor doesn't think they are bad enough to be labeled as bipolar and delays referring them to a Psychiatrist. You don't have to be afraid of bipolar. What is scary though is the stigma attached to it.

When in a depressed state, us "Bipolars" are usually no bother because we are curled up in bed hoping the depression will pass or searching on the internet for a new cure. When manic, we are actually pretty fun- out spending money, traveling, coming up with new business ventures (my best work is created while hypomanic). The mixed states are not pleasant, we get a little bitchy and impulsive. I don't have to tell you this though, this is what you already know about bipolar. What you probably don't know though is that 95 percent of the time, as long as we are following our treatment plan, we are "normal"?

Many successful business people struggle with bipolar disorder, but when you picture "bipolar" you don't picture a successful person. You picture somebody who looks crazy. You don't know the successful bipolar people because they don't want to be known by their mental illness. They want to be known by who they are and by what they accomplish. The only bipolar people you THINK you know are the ones that end up on the news because they left the home today wearing nothing but their tennis shoes and decided to stomp on some guy's car windshield or committed some similar crime. Am I right?

We all have a long way to go in reducing and stamping out stigma. Don't let the media, the internet, your friends, or anybody else scare you. Bipolar is not that scary. You can still be successful.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello there :) I like how you put this, thanks for it. May I re-post / share?

Amy said...

Of course!

Anonymous said...

Love this :-) Sometimes I am afraid to tell people I'm Bipolar because of the stigma.

Anonymous said...

You don't know the successful bipolar people because they don't want to be known by their mental illness. They want to be known by who they are and by what they accomplish.

magnificently put! as a "successful bipolar" as well, i can say this is so true.

am loving your blog. thank you for writing, for dispersing some of the stigma.

Anonymous said...

This is very well put. And just what I needed to hear at the moment - thank you. The biggest problems I have encountered as someone with BP are associated with the stigma and discrimination, not the BP itself.

Rose said...

I just found your blog. Its a great read. I was diagnosed with Bipolar II three years ago at 23. Right now I am finishing up my Masters Degree in teaching. Because of the stigma of Bipolar II I don't tell people at work. I really wish I could tell people, so they know that I struggle. Its a hard thing to keep to myself. I hardly ever have days when I need off. But I needed a day this year while student teaching. I know myself and I know when I can't handle a classroom, so why can't I just tell my co-workers and employers that? Instead I bit my tongue and said I had a stomach bug. STIGMA GO AWAY!

Anonymous said...

Here goes my long time secret to the public that I am Bipolar. I was diagnosed in my early 20s and now I am 37 years old. I have had my episodes but through it all I have held strong taking the required medications my doctor has prescribed. If you have the symptom dont be afraid of the stereotype. Keep your head strong and focus on your career goals. Positive people can drive you to be successful. I have been a successful businessman because I have worked hard to be better than the so-called normal people out there. I make 6 figures a year ! Thanks for the Blog

Anonymous said...

This is a GREAT blog! I've been wondering if I'm the only ” normal” bipolar out there, for real. I go to other bipolar websites and though I understand them, I'm successful and quite stable on my meds that I wonder if I really am bipolar sometimes. I work full time, have a college degree, and plan to start a masters program in a couple years. I have fmla for my disease but never have to use it. Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe there really are more bipolars out there like me?

Anonymous said...

I too am successful, working in a great government job, and have a loving family. I made a choice a few years ago to combat the steroetypès of bipolar and openly share my experiences to help educate those who are intetested. I would like to do even more but havnt figured out how yet.

family counseling said...

Very well said. It is really very unfortunate that people always brand or put different stories on something that they are totally not knowledgeable about. This post you have shared will certainly clarify questions about bipolar disorder. Thank you for sharing this. Your post will definitely benefit everyone.

Anonymous said...

LOVE,LOVE,LOVE this! You must know me, lol. You described me so well. Either mind racing starting a new business, relocating to another city, something extreme or curled up in bed, sad, searching the internet for a miracle cure. I too thought I had depression for about 18 years until I was diagnosed with as being bipolar but I would still tell doctors I only had anxiety to embarrassed to admit the truth. I'm great at putting up a front around people, making excuses, and apologizing. But somehow I was still called "crazy" a lot due to my extremes from sweet to manic. After reading you post I guest i'll tell my doctor the truth so I can get off Zoloft since it isn't helping. Thanks again for the blog

Anonymous said...

Love your blog. My son has BP 2 and I have no idea how he feel. Now I know a little and I know how to approach my son.

Again thank you.

Anonymous said...

How does one become a successful bipolar? Does it depend on how functional you are prior to being diagnosed and treated? Would in patient treatment centers be a good place to learn skills while recovering from a bad episode? What are some good steps to take towards becoming and staying stable. Or do you believe that some people are just better at managing their symptoms?

Unknown said...

I was diagnosed as bipolar at 27 years old. I went to military school from the age of 13-17 and was Battalion Commander, Captain of all my sports teams, Salutatorian of my high school class, and got a full ride NROTC scholarship to college for the United States Marine Corps. I also joined and was an active position holder in the largest fraternity in the world. I have been in outside sales since then and I struggle with stupid people on a daily basis. My behavior appears "manic" most of the time, because I am wired to motivate and lead people the Marine Corps way. Am I bipolar? Good question...my psychiatrist charged me $300 to tell me things that I already knew. Unfortunately, in a capitalist society, nobody listens to you until you have money. So hey bipolars...make your money and tell everyone to shove it.

Unknown said...

Me and my sons mother had a beautiful child, our relationship didnt last but we stayed friends and she had custody, we didnt know till after he was born of her bipolar/charixter dissorder but even medicated it got the better of her she married and struggled for years with my son, eventually the hardest thing and best decision for my son she made was give me custody from age 6 she couldnt cope with the normal functions of looking after a child. But hes the most thoughtfull polite and helpfull 10 year mature of mind year old I know, so in some ways it shaped him as he did see allot and she was a great mum but please its not always about if you can handle it with your condition thats selfish. So think about what your doing first and planning would probably help but how can you plan for natures course anything can happen...

bipolarexpressions said...

I am bipolar, and I am on my way to being successful. I am a jewelry artisan. I work from home, and sell my jewelry on Etsy, I've sold to thirteen different countries. This is my full time work, but, being retail, sales can be slow at times. I would love everyone to come take a peek at my work :)

Blessings, Kaye Kraus of - https://www.etsy.com/shop/BohoStyleMe